Cystitis is the medical name given to the inflammation of your bladder (typically caused by an infection or irritation) that can affect up to 40%1 of women. While the symptoms of cystitis can range from irritating to distressing, it’s easily treatable and there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent it.
Most people experience symptoms such as:
- Burning or stinging sensation when you urinate or pain when urinating
- A frequent need to urinate
- Feeling that you can't fully empty your bladder
The following symptoms aren’t uncommon but can also be caused by other conditions:
- Strong smelling urine
- Cloudy or dark urine
- Blood in your urine
- Abdominal pain or backache
- Fever, temperature and weakness
You should see your doctor if:
- You are experiencing cystitis symptoms for the first time
- You are suffering from any of the serious symptoms above
- You suffer from cystitis more than three times in a year
1 Salvatore et al (2011) Review Urinary Tract Infection in Women. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol.