It’s more common than you think. Thrush is a vaginal yeast infection caused by excessive growth of natural yeast-like fungus, called candida albicans.1
If you’ve noticed vaginal irritation and inflammation, you may have a yeast infection.2 This occurs when the good bacteria in your vagina cannot keep the fungus under control, or when your immune system is weakened. Just so you know, thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection. Please seek consultation with your doctor or pharmacist.
You might have thrush if you experience:
- Sore and itchy vagina / vulva
- Soreness, burning and redness around the entrance to your vagina (vulva)
- Slight swelling of your vaginal lips (labia)
- Cottage cheese-like white discharge3
These symptoms aren’t uncommon:
- Pain during sex
- Thick discharge
- Red and swollen labia
- Burning around your vulva
- Pain when you urinate
- Sores in your vaginal area. Cracked skin around your vulva4
- You are experiencing thrush for the first time
- You get thrush frequently, or if it returns in less than 2 months
- There is no improvement in your symptoms within three days, or if they've not disappeared within seven days
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have multiple sexual partners
- You are under 12 years’ old
- You have fever, chills, nausea, or vomiting
- You feel abdominal pain
- You have previously experienced an allergic reaction to other thrush medications5
- Per-Anders Mardh, Acacio G Rodrigues et al.: Facts and myths on recurrent vulvovaginal candidosis, in: International Journal of STD & AIDS 2002; 13: 522± 539
- Clinical Features in: op. cit.
- Clinical features, in: Op. cit.
- Relapse or Reinfection; Clinical Features in: Op. cit.
- Over-the-counter antifungal treatment, in: Sobel, J.D. Vulvovaginal Candidosis, Lancet 2007, 369: 1961-71
- Management of recurrent vulvovaginal candidosis, in: Sobel, J.D. Vulvovaginal Candidosis, Lancet 2007, 369: 1961-71
Learn more about intimate health
Thrush Trivia Quiz
Take our vaginal thrush quiz and find out what’s fact and what’s myth. Test your knowledge and share your results if you wish!
What is thrush?
Learn what thrush is and what common yeast infection symptoms can help identify it. You can also find out how you can treat thrush and how you can prevent it from recurring.
All you need to know about thrush and pregnancy
Learn everything you need to know about having thrush while pregnant. See how to avoid and prevent developing a vaginal yeast infection.
Thrush in Men
Reduce the risk of developing a yeast infection – learn more about thrush symptoms, prevention, and yeast infection treatments.
Vaginal health: what you need to know
Learn about the causes and risk factors of vaginal infections. Find out what symptoms of those infections are and find tips on how to prevent vaginal infections.
What is thrush?
Learn what thrush is and what common yeast infection symptoms can help identify it. You can also find out how you can treat thrush and how you can prevent it from recurring